Friday 4 March 2011

Letting Go

Stress creeps up on you on the tennis court. The worst seems to be when you're playing against someone you think you should beat. At the Nambour Open I was seeded 7 and up against a talented youngster in the second round, Josh Banks. (No relation to Tristan, I think.) He got the jump on me early and thoughts of an early exit entered my head. 'Why am I here?' I yelled out. 'Why?'
Once you tighten up your co-ordination vanishes and you can miss any shot, no matter how easy, and I did. One simple smash I smacked hard into the court - trouble was it was the wrong court.
Down a set I accepted that I was going to lose, stopped caring so much about the outcome, and loosened up. Suddenly everything turned around. Without any more effort, in fact, with less effort, the ball started springing faster and more accurately off my Pacific X-treme Polyforce 16 L strings. (I remember when the only string around was cat gut.) Momentum swung my way and I won 6-2 in the 3rd set.
I wonder if it is like this with writing. With life. If we try too hard we'll never quite get into that 'zone'. But if we accept our fears and gently let them go our best will come naturally and easily.
What do you reckon?

1 comment:

  1. Yep! I reckon you'd be right in saying that Pat. The day I decided to 'go with the flow' and let go of trying to control everything, was the day my life changed for the better.

    ReplyDelete