Thursday 10 March 2011

My Year in Graph Form

Patrick Flynn - Breakdown - Rankings - Tennis Australia

Points of note:
Tennis Australia have a wrong DOB for me, making me a few years older than I am. I should correct this but it's kind of fun imagining a 16-year-old staring at a computer and saying, 'I lost to a $%^&*!@ 45 year old!'
Talking about age, most guys in the top 500 were born in the late 80s or early 90s, although three in the top 100 were born in the 70s - Peter Luczak, Joe Sirianni and Mark Draper. Kudos to them - especially Drapes who's turned 40. He still moves like a cat around the court. I'm more of a caterpillar (the machine not the animal. I chug slowly but steadily.)
Even though the search database stops at 1971 (TA must assume no one older are silly enough to play Open tournaments), a manual inspection finds there are 4 players in the top 500 born in the 60s. Neil Smith, the father of 3 tennis playing boys, is ranked 422 and was born in 1960. I remember losing to Neil in the final of the Sydney Metro doubles title in 1986. My partner was Todd Woodbridge (and I still couldn't win!).
Even with the correct birthday I'm the oldest player in the top 150, 250, even 350. I'm not sure if this makes me feels good, bad, strange, or just plain old.

2 comments:

  1. Enjoy every match - while you still have the knees/elbows/ankles/hand-eye to hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mike.
    Just got back from an extended physio appointment! Minor wear and tear (hopefully)

    ReplyDelete