Thursday 3 March 2011

Top 100

My current work in progress is a YA/Adult novel about a 28-year-old tennis player named Ace who makes a comeback to the pro tour, attempting to exorcise some demons in the process. He funds his comeback by coaching a talented but wayward 18-year-old named Taso. To sympathise with my MC I've made a comeback of sorts myself. Last year at 42 I decided to play Open tournaments for the first time in 10 years with a goal of making it to the top 100 male players in Australia. I wanted to feel the nervousness, doubt and fear of Ace by competing against players half my age. Almost a year into the journey, I've learnt much about tennis and myself. I've learnt that age is relative, the body is capable of more than we imagine, and that some days I still feel like a gumby even after playing tennis for more than 30 years. The novel, like the journey, seems to be going on and on. 80,000 words in with no end in sight. I think it's telling me I need one more year of playing, so that's what I've decided to do - blogging about my journey here. Besides, my goal hasn't been reached. I'm only ranked 136.

No comments:

Post a Comment